Tuesday 23 August 2016

The 30 Second Bun... Or Less


If you want to slay your bunning updo skills, you've come to the right place! I'm going to show you four bun updo's that literally took me less than 30 seconds to achieve! Four?! Yes girl, I was on a roll. 

YOU WILL NEED:
  1. A Moisturised Braid Out 
    • This would allow for easy manipulation, you do not want to be tugging at your hair in the bid to pull it up into a bun, this would lead to unnecessary breakage. To reduce the amount of stress on your strands make sure that your hair is adequately moisturised beforehand = MAJOR KEY to effortless styling.
  2. An Ouchless Hairband
    • If your hair is thicker than mine, you may want to use a wider hairband/headband. Some ladies use a shoelace!
  3. Bobby Pins
    • You can skip this step if like me your hair can wrap around itself and not come undone.
Ready?- Let's go!


So the first thing you want to do is to push your hair up to the top of your head. I was going for a really high bun, so I pushed my hair a little past the crown of my head.

(The left side of my hair looks longer than the right, I can assure you that it is not the case! I was actually checking my length with that back piece prior to taking this shot)


The next step is to secure the position of your bun's base with your hairband. I didn't loop mine more than twice.


Now, if you don't pull all your hair through the second loop,it would look like this: First bun style achieved! Well done girl! To define this look some more you could put a bit of gel on your fingers and use it to twirl around some of the loose ends. This would set your curls in place and make the style appear more intentional. (I did not do that so I've no picture to show- soz!)

¬THE INVERTED  PINEAPPLE¬
For this second bun updo, all you need to do Is to pull out all the hair from the loop and part it down the middle - this middle parting should not be very perfect! If your hair doesn't naturally hang down like this, you could always pin the ends down with your bobby pins. To do this, just gather all the ends from one section, twist if necessary to keep them together then pin it down. Try to position your pinning closer to your ears than to the base of your bun so that you can achieve this elongated look!
¬THE WATER FOUNTAIN¬
For the next step, you want to be able to roll and tuck two separate pieces like this.


If you roll and tuck one piece, the other should be rolled out to the front and pinned down on the side. This would created a nice fro-hawk/pompadour fringe-esque look. LOL yes, you're knocking all three in one here!

¬ THE SLEEPING SQUIDWARD ¬
To achieve the last bun style, all you need to do is to take down that pompadour fringe then roll and tuck that piece like you did the other side. It should look like this! To achieve a more sleeker look you could apply gel/edge control to your edges and lay it down with a scarf for 30 mins. The sides of your hair should lay flat , accentuating the bow-like bun on your head!
I still haven't mastered the use of gel or edge control in my hair yet so this is how my style came out without it:

¬ THE MINNIE MOUSE¬

The reasons why the buns were so quick to achieve was because, I had the correct preparation, I was having fun with it all and therefore that 'zero-patience' attitude was nowhere in sight. Lastly, I have learnt to appreciate the length and thickness of my hair. 

My advise is to create styles that would make your hair look good! Countless times in the past I'd finish plaiting my hair and grab the nearest hat to cover it up for the duration that I kept the style in. What was the point of that eh? #CONFESSIONS OF A NATURAL CHIC! I've quickly realised the truth in the hair being the woman's glory, so why not wear yours as though it were a crown- every single day! Trust me, you would not only feel better on the inside but you'd nurture a deeper love for your kinks and coils. Its like, when wearing outfits as a tall girl (I'm 5'11 guys!), I steer away from six inch heels as I know that this would make me look ridiculously tall. 

Don't attempt to detract from the beauty of your hair in its current state by jumping the gun to attempt styles that just aren't the perfect fit for your hair. You know you best, so be the judge when it comes to situations like that. Alternatively, you can always make these bun styles your own, If your hair can't completely pull back into a bun, you could try two Bantu knots at the front of your head (Minnie Mouse style) and rock a twist out at the back! This would most certainly help you to become less frustrated with your hair.

Ultimately guys, have fun with your updo bun styles, let me know what you come up with - tag me in your photos on Twitter / Instagram or email me! I'd also like to know which one of these bun styles was your favourite.

Much love, 



No comments:

Post a Comment