Wednesday 8 March 2017

Going Sulphate - Free


So, as you may or may not already know, I actually started properly taking care of my natural hair a few years back. In saying that though, there were a LOT of things that I wasn't doing as a so called 'naturalista'. I didn't stick to any particular regimen, to be honest I hardly had a regimen (Okay to all you Natural Hair Nazi's - don't shoot me!). To make matters 'worse'- as some might thing, I didn't have all products such as Eco-Styler Gel, Aloe Vera, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Cantu Shea Butter etc... These are some of the products that 'all' natural hair girls supposedly must own. 


Anyways, I'm rambling here too much. The point is, I was natural but didn't conform to any of the natural hair 'rules'. Has my hair suffered or stunted in growth as a result - no! But what I am about to share with you is my recent impromptu decision to incorporate sulphate-free products into my not-so-formulated-or-adhered-to-regimen.

So without further ado, meet the products that I'm currently in LOVE with!





CREME OF NATURE

ARGON OIL 
MOISTURE & SHINE FREE SHAMPOO


The Product

Texture- Smooth and Thin 
Consistency- Slighly Gooey
Smell - Flowery Airfreshener
Colour- Burnt Orange/Clear
Cost- £5.99 for 591ml

The Process

To wash my hair I sectioned my hair into six, doing a loose braid at the root and then twisting up the length of the hair. I used an ouchless hair band to secure the ends just so that the twists didn't unravel during the wash. I loosely braided the root just so I have room to massage the shampoo into my scalp but also so that the twist didn't unravel from the top. I did the wash twice, focusing more on my scalp and allowing the suds to run down the twists.

The Results

5/5

This lathers up just as nicely as a sulphate shampoo does. I found that my curls were more elongated and defined so I didn't experience as much matting that comes with shrinkage. My hair was left feeling very soft and manageable- I almost didn't want to follow through with a conditioner! Honestly It has made me feel very excited about washing my hair. My hair really responded well to this product! 

  


AUNT JACKIE'S

CURLS & COILS
DEFINING CURL CUSTARD


The Product

Texture- Smooth 
Consistency- Body Lotion
Smell - Strong Divine , (Patchouli perhaps??)
Colour- Very Light Orchid
Cost- £3.99 for 516ml

The Process

To slightly damp hair I applied a good amount of this through the section of my hair and then braided my hair down. At first I did some braids with soley this product but on the last two sections, I coated the ends with raw shea butter. 

The Results

3.5/5

This product absorbs well into my hair strands. I was hoping to witness an immediate defining of my coils and when this didn't really happen I felt slightly disappointed. Perhaps It was because I was working with fairly large sections and I didn't set my hair with a blowdry as the instructions on the tub suggest. 

"For tight, scrunchy curls or coils, blowdry hair on a light setting with a diffuser."

However, the scent of the product lasted for three days on my hair which I was really happy about. Also, the product did not leave any white residue on my hair. Despite the fact that I applied so much onto each section of my hair, It didn't feel as though my hair was greasy. 

Perhaps to achieve the definition I'm looking for, I'd have to try another type of product that's thicker like a gel almost. I will probably just use this as a leave-in-moisturising conditioner. 

However, when I later unravelled the braids after two days, my hair still felt soft and moisturised. Some parts of my 4B coils were defined but the most part remained afro looking. I was very pleased with the fact that my hair was stretched out but not dry



So far these are the sulphate-free products that I've been loving and using. I didn't realise how much my hair would enjoy the sulphate-free switch! I plan to also incorporate a shampoo and try some other stylers! Hopefully this new change would aid me in my journey to maintain thickness in my hair! 


More random pictures of my hair! Sorry I'm obsessed- who wouldn't be? Self-love right? 


Thanks again loves for all your support and advice ! What kind of sulphate-free products do you use and currently love? As always...

No comments:

Post a Comment