Saturday 13 August 2016

The Joy's of Pescaterianism


I decided to switch up my diet and become a pescetarian five months ago. Quite often in my life I've experimented with vegetarianism and still till this day, I do quite enjoy eating vegetarian meals. When I eventually started to tell my loved ones about my current choice of cuisine, I was met with the odd snigger and discouragement here and there and also the obvious questions- why on earth would you want to suddenly give up meat? I'm pretty chummed with myself for not dismissing the diet switch as I quickly discovered an array of benefits having made the change.

Pescetarianism, if you didn't already know is a lifestyle which generally centres on excluding meat from the diet. This is a broad church definition as there are quite a few variations of pescetarianism when it comes to its practice. 
I'd just like to say that for me personally, I chose to still use both chicken and pork bouillon cubes in my cooking. I also chose to still eat egg and dairy products, I am aware that some pescetarians do not. As well as this, I decided to explore more of my options in terms of the seafood world. I haven't limited myself only to fish, but have tickled my taste buds with a few other underwater critters such as crab, squid and muscles.

Below are some of my personal experiences thus far with pescetarianism. There is an abundance of scientic academic reasearch on the web that can testify to some of these points and much more! Be sure to also check that out to further your knowledge.


1. INCREASED ENERGY LEVELS

This happened to be one of the first benefits I witnessed with my body. From the inside I'd find myself whizzing away with my day to day duties without that sluggish feeling that'd creep up on you after completing a series of tasks. I feel like wonderman! 

2. YOUTHFUL GLOW

Another thing I noticed  how smoother and tighter my skin had become- particularly my face! Perhaps this also has to do with the fact that I've incorporated raw organic coconut oil into my skincare regimen, but I feel like I've captured the timeless beauty of the Disney princess Belle. I kid you not. 

3. LIGHTER STOOLS


Just keeping it real guys!

4. AIRY WALK


I should've put this higher up in the list, coupled with the first point. I similarly quickly noticed how walking has become a treat! I feel like I've effortlessly covered more metres by foot in these past couple of months than I had done this time last year! Walking has become a real delight, I now seek the 'walk' option where I can on Google Maps far much more than i do the 'public transport' option! With my head held high, you could probably confuse me for a graceful swan, gliding down the street!

5. GREATER CONTROL OVER MY OWN BODY


You wouldn't have thought it , but it's really true. Over the months I've learnt to control my cravings, this was especially true during the earlier stages. Everyone around me were still eating meat. More often than not, I'd find myself in a house which smelt of smokey bacon in the mornings and grilled chicken by lunchtime through till dinnertime. I did not give in. Looking back on it now these were the periods where doubt and that feeling to revert could easily work its way in. I'd probably do a later post on making your mind up and staying motivated. This ability to control yourself against your superfluous desires is a transferable skill that is especially crucial in university.
Anyways, back to the point, I can now feel this sense of achievement haven come this far in an experiment that I never would have thought would have been this good!

I'm still on my journey and I honestly don't know whether or not I'd change back and begin eating meat again or whether I'd omit the seafood and just become a vegetarian. But for now I'm soaking up all the goodies from this current cuisine choice!
I challenge you all to give it a try, even if its just for one week, I'm pretty sure you'd get a taste of these benefits too! Go on, give it a go - I dare ya!
Let me know what you think about it in the comments box below




No comments:

Post a Comment