Tuesday 13 June 2017

GET IT DONE!


I'm going to share with you the top 3 ways you can get things done!

Okay, so many at times we get to the end of the day, we're just about snuggling under the duvet and then it hits us - Oh snap, I forgot to do (xyz)...

I always thought to myself,  how is it that we manage to let time slip away from us every single day. I mean, with 24 hours there's only so much lazying around one can do! - right?

Now I know, I know, there's always a pile of things in the back of our minds that we want to do, but we either A. Never end up getting it done or B. We start but never get round to finishing.

Nobody is perfect,  I myself am guilty of falling into this cycle.

The first issue here is that we store all the things we want to do in the back of our minds. This is a major pitfall, as by doing so we end up reducing the importance of this activity and in turn we begin to increase the importance of something else. This is done subconsciously, as when you are not prioritising what you really want to achieve you fill up that precious time by doing something that's completely irrelevant eg. binge watching Game of Thrones. (You're alone on this one guys haha!)


So, tip number one : PRIORITISE

It's simply not enough to keep the activity you really want to do eg. write that essay, in your mind. You have to make a priority out of it. You will know that you've made it so, once you've filled every single space in your day, which you would otherwise have tweeted "I'm bored someone entertain me",with working on writing that essay. When you prioritise, you maximise every opportunity in your day towards achieving that goal.

It's like a baby of yours. For the short period of time that you're working towards completing this task, you give it your full attention. By doing so, you are not only choosing this task first when it comes to carrying out your day to day activities, but you're also getting through the task faster.

Trust me on this one guys, you will find that the task that would ordinarily have taken you about two weeks to complete, could get through your itinerary in about half the time.





My second tip for you guys is to SET DAILY MILESTONES

I cannot stress this enough. Honestly you guys, if you want to be able to get things done you have to realise that there are times where you have to take smaller bites. A lot of times we have this task that we want to do but we crazily fool ourselves that we can get it done overnight.

Firstly, you need to know the type of activity that you're dealing with. Some can be acomplished in a matter of hours, others weeks or even months!

Let's go back to the 'writing an essay' scenario. If your deadline is in three weeks time but you've left the writing of your essay till the night before, don't be mad when you suddenly have this brain crash and mental breakdown at the realisation that you've a couple of hours to submit yet you can't get past the introduction. (Sorry no sympathy from me on this one !)

I personally like to take FULL advantage of those three weeks by breaking down this seemingly huge task into bite-able portions. Week one is the research phase where I would typically do all the necessary reading, formulate my argument then structure the body of the essay. Week two is the writing phase. Here I would tackle a paragraph a day, this way I'm working through my essay in sections and I'm not getting overwhelmed. Lastly, in the final week before submission, I am editing this first draft, tallying it up with the marking scheme and ensuring that it is of great quality.

That was just an example, but if you'd like for me to go in depth as to how to write great essays then let me know in the comments section below.

As you could see, tasks become more doable once tackled in smaller bites. Also you have the joy of going to bed each night with the feeling of having accomplished something.



The last hing I'm going to share with you guys today is to TAKE TACTICAL BREAKS

So, once you've prioritised the activities and broken them down into sections it is highly important that you don't forget the importance of taking breaks. Now the reason why I've termed it 'tactical' is because, these are not going to be the kind of breaks that turn into naps that turn into never-returning-to-the-task. Oh no! These breaks are the kind that motivate you to get through the daily milestone, whilst rewarding you for the session just completed.

This tip works exceptionally well for those tasks that poise as being boring and tedious but you just have to get through them. So if you're a foodie like I am, treat yourself to dinner at your favourite restaurant once you get through the task. This would not only motivate you to focus so that you're able to finish and head into town but its also a nice way to cool off for the long day's work. However, don't over do it! If you know you have to be up in the morning to work on the second part of your task, don't stay up all night because your favourite restaurant happens to also be a bar/club after 11pm. - (Just saying !)

That brings me to the end of my TOP 3 ways to ensure that you GET IT DONE!

Please do share, leave a comment and let me know some of the other tips you'd like to add to this list.

As always,




No comments:

Post a Comment