Wednesday 21 March 2018

How I Chose My Detangling Brush

Made by Gorgol
Since incorporating finger detangling into my hair care routine, I've noticed reduced breakage. This makes sense because combs and brushes are prone to snagging on the hair strands. When you have a lot of knots and tangles, a heavy-handed use of a comb can pull out extra hair strands along with the knot. Not only does this stunt length retention, but it aggravates the scalp. It is essential to detangle one's hair, but the best way to do so is when you aren't in a rush and approach your hair in a gentle and loving manner. The aim is to untangle the hair and get ride of knots. My hair is often easily mistaken for free-form dreads when I don't detangle it regularly!

Whilst on my hair journey of love this month, I noticed that my twists were quite frizzy. Perhaps I wasn't finger-detangling my hair properly, but I wasn't so fussed about it when wearing my hair in loose twists- I guess the frizz added to the look! However, this week I have worn my hair in chunky twists with a flat-twist side fringe. It didn't look as cute to have puffy frizzy twists on day one! 
To combat that,  I decided to get a detangling brush, to smooth in my styling products, such that the product is evenly distributed throughout my hair strands. 

Yesterday, I went in search for a Denman brush. This is the holy grail of the natural hair community for detangling and evenly distributing product through the hair. To my dismay, the bristles on that brush were hard and I couldn't phantom how I was supposed to rake something so hard into my soft hair. As well as that, the bristles of the brush were tightly packed together- and we all know small tooth combs aren't good for natural hair, so why get a small toothed brush? I know that some naturals, pull out the bristles from every other row, to make the Denman brush less dense, but what's the point? They cost about £10 and then I'm going to spend my time taking out bristles!? - No thank you !

I stumbled upon this Gorgol brush in TK MAXX and fell in love instantly!


The brush is made from 100% wood that is derived from well-managed forests. It's narrow headed with a comfortable handle. The cushion is 100% rubber and the bristles are plastic with a rounded top. There are five rows which makes it wide toothed! The brush can be used wet or dry. 


When used on my hair, the brush glides through my strands. Of course it pulls out the shed hairs, but I made sure to gently brush through small sections at a time. It also doubles as a scalp massager, the rounded pins and cushioned base make it truly relaxing. 

To clean I put it under cool running water and rubbed away the residue from my oils and butters. Then I placed it face down to dry so that the water could drain out. This would hopefully ensure that the gum which secures the cushion to the wood, does not wear away too quickly.


At a price point of £3.99, you really can't go wrong! 

I'm excited to see how this brush hold's up months down the line. I'll definitely keep you guy's updated at a later date.

Has this post been helpful? I would like to know some of the things you look out for when choosing your detangling brush. What do you steer towards and what's a no-go area and why?

Looking forward to your lovely comments down below!


No comments:

Post a Comment