Monday 26 February 2018

It’s been a long time coming !

Hey fruities!

So lately I’ve been getting the itch. The itch to do more with my hair. Okay scratch that, more for my hair* Last summer I wore my hair out in beautiful updo styles inspired by the Fulani people. They are a Yoruba tribe in Nigeria, and the women are traditionally known for wearing their natural hair with beads and shells. I’ll insert some pictures below and also show you some of the stuff I came up with aswell. 





During the summer months I learnt to embrace my hair more than ever before. Now, I’m not new to wearing my natural hair out. Growing up my mother somewhat forbid me from putting in to my hair extensions or “attachment” as the Nigerians like to call it back then ! As I grew older, I felt slightly childish , wearing my hair in braids or “dodo plaits” as some would rather call it. However, wearing it out for most of the summer and receiving so many compliments , encouraged me to fall back in love with my kinky texture. I learnt to have fun and experiment with styles that kept my ends protected from rubbing on my clothing. I also adopted a moisturising routine , which I’d share more about it another time.

So that was a few months ago, where am I now? I returned to uni to begin my third year with crochet braids. They were the curly ones by Aftress in the style “water wave”. I took those extensions out just before my birthday, so I’d say mid November . From then till mid December I had my hair in jumbo plaits under a wig. Then I installed Senegalese twists with Marley hair . Now I’ve been wearing my hair out for a couple weeks and I love it!




Reflecting back and setting goals for the future, I’d like to do more for my hair. My hair needs extra TLC if it’s going to flourish and make noticeable improvements by this summer. I realised that my length retention has been stagnant in the past couple years and I’d really like to break through that. So, as opposed to adopting new styles and such, I’ve decided to embark on a new journey, a journey of love , patience and tender care. I’ll go into more depths in the next blog post, but firstly I just wanted to come out here and explain why I’m transitioning from doing more with my hair to doing more for it. The difference with doing more for the hair is that you put your hair first. A plant that is properly nourished and cared for with flourish! Rather than tying to bend my hair to suit my tempo I’m going to take a step back and really listen to what it needs / wants to do.

I’ve realised that this probably sounds very hippie-dippy, but I assure you this change of mindset will work wonders. My plan is to begin my new journey in March and then see it through till June. Despite my busy uni schedule I’ll keep you guys in the know - as to what I get up to on this journey and how it’s working out for me. And with any journey in life, if you fall you have to muster the strength and courage to pick yourself up and keep on going!

As always my lovelies,


No comments:

Post a Comment