Thursday 1 March 2018

Organics : Hair Mayonnaise | REVIEW




It's very rare that I finish a product and actually consider repurchasing it. So far the only product I have religiously repurchased is shea butter and olive oil. On my mums birthday I bought her the M.O.M by African Royale, which I had previously done an initial review on. I absolutely love the product, it's still the best I've tried to moisturise my dry hair. 

Today I come to you all with a protein based deep conditioner. Now I must admit, I probably bought this way back in 2013/14 when I'd sporadically attempted to treat my hair. Unfortunately I lacked consistency, hence me only finishing the tub now! - I know right, shocking!

So, here's the review:

The Product

Texture- It's a light silky texture which Is sure to absorb nicely into your strands - especially If you've got medium porosity hair like me! When I took a bit of the product and rubbed it into the back of my palm, It melted away within seconds.

Consistency - It's like a body cream. So not as liquid-y as a lotion but then not as thick like a butter. This makes it easy to scoop out and distribute through your hair. Each strand is equally coated. As I used the last of the product today, I used a spatula to help scrape the product from the sides of the container. 

Smell- Like olive oil and egg with a perfume. It's not off-putting, I've always liked the scent.

Colour- Yellow, polka dotted with very dark green herbs.

Cost - At the time of purchasing, this cost me £1.79 from Jinny's in Peckham. 

The Process

I started out with freshly washed hair that was damp as I'd allowed it to dry in my microfiber turban towel. My hair was also in sections - loose twists to be exact. I started with the right side of my head and from the back. I'd already mixed a teaspoon of avocado oil into the Hair Mayonnaise, then with a spatula, scooped some out and applied to my hair , working from the ends up. As I was practically running out, I decided to focus mainly on the ends of my hair during application. Then I loosely twisted each section back up and flipped my hair up and let it sit under my shower cap for 30mins.

I rinsed with lukewarm water in the shower. The product was easy to come out, and it has great slip! If you're someone that enjoys detangling your hair whilst it's soaking wet, you will fall in love with the slip of this product also. 


The Results


I experienced minimal shedding, practically none at all. Perhaps that was due to the fact that I did not detangle my hair and rinsed my hair under the running water whilst holding it taunt with one hand and squeezing the water through the strands with the other. As well as this, I had spent the week moisturising my hair with my tea spritz which contains the likes of green tea and amla for strengthening my hair. I also did not feel the need to detangle at this stage in my routine as my hair had not shrunken to a tangled matted state. 

SOFTNESS! My hair honestly felt like butter. Even after thoroughly rinsing out the deep conditioner, I ran the water through my strands again simply because I was enjoying the feel of the water glide through my strands! This is honestly my BEST deep conditioning experience yet and I'm sure of maintaining consistency this time around to witness not only immediate results but the overall improved health of my hair. 

Is it a keeper?

Now if I did not like this conditioner I would not have kept it in my arson up until now. Although It does contain sulphates, parabens and mineral oils, the first two ingredients are water and glycerine. I believe this really helps to moisturise the hair, whilst the egg is able to add protein to the hair. Now the egg is very low on the list of ingredients so I'm not sure about the potency of the results. As I mentioned earlier, my hair could've felt strengthened as a result of my tea spritz. Whilst olive oil is the main oil allowing the moisture to penetrate into the strands, this product also contains carrot seed oil and safflower seed oil. The listed herbs are oregano, rosemary, horsetail extract and nettle. 

I know that ultimately sulphate free products are the best for natural hair as it allows the hair to be cleansed without stripping it of too much moisture. This product isn't sulphate free however, I don't plan to incorporate protein deep conditioning too much into my regimen. This is especially because, I am using the Ayurveda hair growth oil and tea spritz. I also have the JBCO Strengthen and Restore leave in conditioner by Shea Moisture. For this reason, I don't mind repurchasing this protein deep conditioner. It has always worked well for my hair, both strengthening and moisturising. 

Have you tried this product before? If so, let me know what your thoughts and experiences were down below in the comments section.

As always loves, 



No comments:

Post a Comment